All Bedford Residents are encouraged to recycle, for every ton recycled it saves $40.22 per ton in disposal costs.
Recycling and Refuse Collection Guidelines
Items to be placed in blue bags:
- Aluminum, Steel and Bimetal cans
- Clear, brown and green glass jars and bottles
- #1 - #7 Plastic Containers
*All glass, cans and plastic containers have to be rinsed and lids removed.
Items to be tied or placed in brown bags:
- Newspaper, Magazines & Mail
- Corrugate Cardboard - cut into 2' x 2' sections
- Telephone Books
- Printer/Copier paper
- Chipped board (cereal boxes)
* Place items in brown bags or tied next to blue bags
Items excluded from recycling collection:
- Window glass, light bulbs, drinking glasses, mirrors or ceramics. Containers that are contaminated (examples: motor oil, antifreeze, pesticide, herbicide and containers with food in them). Place these items in a refuse container so they can be collected safely.
- All recyclable material is to be placed in a separate pile at the side of the garbage. Refuse and recyclable materials will be picked up by two separate trucks. Please have recycling and solid waste containers out by the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day.
- All appliances and furniture are be put out with your regular refuse.
- Lumber, metal pipes or other loose material should be cut into lengths no longer tahan 4 feet in length.
- Carpeting and padding shoudl be cut and rolled into bundles not to exceed 4 feet in length.
- NO AUTOMOTIVE BATTERIES - when you purchase a new battery, the place of purchase will take your old battery.
- No Fuel tanks, propane tanks or metal drums.
J & J will not make pickups on the following holidays, New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
If any of these Holidays occur on a weekday prior to or on your collection day service will be delayed 1 day.