WHAT WE DO
- Dogs running off their leashes
- Dog owners not picking up after their dog does its "business"
- Continuous barking when a dog has been left outside for to long
- Outside dogs that do not have adequate food, water, and shelter
LOCAL LAWS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Maximum number of dogs and cats permitted – Only 2 cats, 2 dogs, or 1 of each is allowed per household
- Barking or howling animals ¬– You cannot allow your dog to bark or howl to the point that it disturbs your neighbors
- Dogs and other animals running at large – You must keep your dog on a leash, a tether, or behind a fence.
- Registration of dogs required – If your dog is older than 3 months, you must register it with the County and have it wearing the tag
- Dangerous and vicious dogs – SEE HANDOUT
- Registration of dangerous or vicious dogs – SEE HANDOUT
- Animal defecation – If you take your dog for walks, you must clean up after him/her (even in the park).
- Feeding of deer and undomesticated animals prohibited – Do not feed the deer, raccoons, cats, or any other animals.
NUSIANCE ANIMAL PREVENTION
- DO NOT FEED STRAY ANIMALS (CATS), DEER, OR ANY OTHER WILD ANIMALS
- KEEP YOUR GARBAGE IN TIGHTLY SEALED CONTAINERS (BUNGEE CORDS ARE A BIG HELP).
- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CAP ON YOUR CHIMNEY
- SEAL ANY HOLES ALONG YOUR ROOFLINE AND AROUND THE FOUNDATION OF YOUR HOME
- IF YOU FEED THE BIRDS, USE A FEEDER WITH A CATCH PAN UNDERNEATH SO THE FEED DOES NOT FALL TO THE GROUND
- IF YOU COMPOST, USE A COMPOSTING CONTAINER OR ERECT A FENCE AROUND THE COMPOST PILE. SCAVENGER ANIMALS SUCH AS COYOTES, RACCOONS AND SKUNKS SEE COMPOST AND THINK BUFFETT!
IF YOU DO EXPERIENCE A NUISANCE ANIMAL PROBLEM, WE DO HAVE A "HAVAHEART TRAP" LOAN PROGRAM. WE WILL LOAN YOU A TRAP ON A FIRST COME BASIS. WE WILL TELL YOU WHAT BAIT TO USE AND HOW AND WHERE TO SET THE TRAP. IF YOU DO CATCH SOMETHING, WE WILL PICK IT UP FOR REMOVAL.
TO VIEW ALL LOCAL ORDINANCES, PLEASE VIST THE CITY WEBPAGE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR AN ANIMAL PROBLEM, PLEASE CALL the bedford police department AT 440-232-1234.